What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Limit the number of shops a character can work for.

Gordon2

On A Spiritual Pilgrimage
Staff Team
Elite Donator
Los Santos Police
As the title suggests, I would like to gauge the communities' interest in limiting the number of shops a single character can work for as there is a limit on how many employees a shop can have. As it currently stands, there is no limit. However, upon some investigation on my end, there are more than a few people who are employed at an excessive number of shops. I'd like to remind people that the amount of time and effort a single shop can take, is massive. How does this manifest when someone is employed at 6 shops? Inactivity or the lack of roleplay attention that shop deserves.

The number of shops I believe makes sense for a single character to be employed at is two. This would allow a greater amount of our active player base (you should not be hiring inactive players) to be a part of the legal shop economy and breathe life into a lot of these shops that currently sit empty. As it currently sits from my view and opinion is that so many of these shops are starved for roleplay activity due to this.

I think places like car dealerships and Mechanics should be looked at differently than place such as the Kraken or The Tavern as there isn’t “too” much money to be earn from them places it’s strictly RP based. So I think places like those “bars” would struggle a lot if that was the case. So maybe 1 car dealer/mechanic and 1 shop/bar worker could be an option.
I disagree.
There's way too much grey area there's a good few dealerships and mechanic shops that don't make alot of money.
Then you have VU that make a good amount when they're doing events.

Also I don't think it should just be about the money anyway its opening up opportunities for rp.

And all of this is to create jobs for... Who? As someone who has been in charge of employing for multiple businesses of different kinds, apart from mechanic shops, people don't exactly line up for an rp job. Specially when you can earn more on the grind which you can do at odd hours as opposed to the most rp jobs.

I'm sorry but I do not think the current player flow allows for it, with this economy. Just my opinion.
Let business owners decide that for themselves.

So If i stand at a dealership for 5 hours and i see 5 people where 2 buy a car, i then have another job where once every 2 months or so we organise an event, does that mean i can't do anything else or work for nhs/fire? or does nhs/fire count as 2 already? If you're a mechanic and work at a dealership are you no longer allowed to do bin runs or trucking/taxi'ng?

I understand you don't want everyone working at every workplace but if they are putting in the effort and they are roleplaying a workaholic and they only use that one character why take that away from them?

If you put a limit to it, I'd limit it to 5 workplaces, in the end it's up to the business owners if they need someone partime or fulltime on the books, if they get inactive they get fired, new people get hired, some workplaces have 300 people wanting to work there some have 3.

Basically in my opinion this suggestion limits someone's freedom of jobs, it makes things confusing and how would you go about checking all these people if they don't already have 2 jobs? What clasifies as a shop and why are only shops then limited with their freedom of work and not all other jobs?

I'd rather see workplaces implement a minimum hour system like whitelisted jobs do, this way it forces inactive people out naturally unless they are on sick-leave/holliday.
(this would involve adding a clock in system)

But that's just my opinion as a workaholic IC

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

you don't need to be on the books to have shares in a company
if i own shares tho i want to be on the books so that i can see how the shop is doing and do work for the shop, and i dont think that should be limited cause i work at 4 shops 2 of which i won and i have enough time to make sure all those are fully stocked and being ran as they should.

If people want to work at a bunch of shops and the owners dont mind about that then it should be up to the player and the owner of the business surley? Limiting it just takes away from players that want to work at multiple shops. If someone wants to work at 14 shops let them its up to the owner of that shop that if they see this person isnt performing they can hire someone else or even that they can request extra slots from COC for more people.

Me personaly on the shops i own i have limit staff i dont even use all the default slots cause i can deal with it with my little team.

and i dont think that should be limited cause i work at 4 shops 2 of which i won
i did have a check you don't own 2, you own 1, but i suppose that's besides the point ain't it

if i own shares tho i want to be on the books so that i can see how the shop is doing and do work for the shop
Set it up proper, and you don't have to be on any books at all

If people want to work at a bunch of shops and the owners dont mind about that then it should be up to the player and the owner of the business surley?
I don't think any sensible business owner should/would hire a person that works 5 other places that does the same as his shop, seems counter intuitive

If someone wants to work at 14 shops let them its up to the owner of that shop that if they see this person isnt performing they can hire someone else or even that they can request extra slots from COC for more people.
we won't allow business owners more slots if they fail to fill their current slots with people that, you know, actually do work(restocking, selling, w/e) at the place, you won't get more slots because you want to keep your inactive "co-owner" on the list just because if he/she is not doing his/her part, Co-Owners are not a official title CoC looks at, it has no relevance to us all but you as a owner is a employee, which if he/she doesn't work their part, you as a owner won't get more slots for employees

Me personaly on the shops i own i have limit staff i dont even use all the default slots cause i can deal with it with my little team.
you're 1/2 off filling the 1 business YOU own, so you're shooting yourself in the foot by doing so

I don't think you understand lots of people have time to spend on the server and your taking away their chance to advancing their character.
very important thing to bring up here, if you(not you directly) know of someone that has bought a shop to own by using a third party(aka he/she paid, but already owns a shop so needs to use someone else) let us know

If people want to work at a bunch of shops and the owners dont mind about that then it should be up to the player and the owner of the business surley?
Yes absolutely it should be, however the business owner being held to the standard of community leader should know better than to hire someone that already has 15 other jobs, while there loads of people who don’t have any jobs at all.

It should be down to business owners to regulate these things, the CoC shouldn’t need to hold peoples hands and tell them when giving someone a job is a bad idea.

I think what you’re saying here in your comments is the problem with businesses on RPUK tbh - ‘I have time to work at x amount and make sure they are stocked’ but where’s the roleplay value to that? I’d rather someone has 1 job and actually puts the effort into that, even if that’s an hour a day or every other day in the shop actually serving people (like I’ve seen @Father and others do before) instead of running around stocking 5 businesses but never investing any time into the side of it that won’t make you money.

My character works at quite a few, but that’s because they belong to the faction my character is in, I’d say that’s a special circumstance. However your non-faction characters absolutely should have a chance to work at one of these places and shouldn’t be overshadowed by someone who already works at 5 other shops.

Absolutely I think there should be limitations on how many jobs someone can have, but no I don’t think it should be a hard coded limitation, I think business owners just need to stop being so stupid and employing people who already have multiple jobs. It’s like common sense has went out the window.

Yes absolutely it should be, however the business owner being held to the standard of community leader should know better than to hire someone that already has 15 other jobs, while there loads of people who don’t have any jobs at all.
I think the main issue with that is there's not people queuing up who want to sit in a shop, restaurant or dealership for hours waiting for customers.

-/+. It's an iffy one.

It's a business owner's responsibility to hire who they want on whatever grounds they want.

My roleplay, similar to @Anne McGee's, is that I am a workaholic and I put in the effort and roleplay in to the businesses that I do work at. Business owners respect that and often lean towards roleplayers like us as stability within their business. I see the issue more so being that there aren't enough people in the city who express interest in the jobs they want and/or aren't actively seeking employment at places/commit to maintaining a job once they have it.

Money is accessible for those who solely want money via bins/trucking/outside mechanic work already. For those who want to roleplay and not just earn quick money, surely more effort would be put in to seeking employment at businesses they want to work at for that reason? I don't see enough people wanting jobs at dealerships, mechanic shops etc for that reason, but more so just trying to "get money" because they assume it makes them a lot of it, hence the quick staff turnaround in places like this because they leave soon after when they realise the other jobs earn them their money faster.

Job type limitations is more realistic rather than overall number of jobs but either way it's going to be suppressing an individual's roleplay.

I fully agree with @Claire Clancy!

I'm at my current max, it's where i Feel i can give good rp to people but if i get another job offer/opportinity i would love to grab i'd quit one of my jobs where i feel someone else would be able to give more love to it.

my bosses know i'm partime, i let them know my other jobs and they hire me because they know i'm in the city almost every day and are not looking for someone for fulltime, I've been offered jobs in the past and declined them just because they mentioned they needed someone fulltime.

What i currently see a lot of in the city though.... People get hired, they are active and it's great! Fast forward 2/3 weeks... you never see them, they are never at the workplace for more then 15 minutes or sometimes suddenly 2 hours.

BUT, There is a rule with dealerships (not shops), where you can't work for a competing dealership, example if you work at luxury you can't get hired at mosley's as they both sell the same categorie car.

So by that rule, woudn't you automatically not be able to work at a competing shop either? Like i'd understand if you'd work at a shop in paleto and the other one in the city, but why would a shop hire you if you already work for a shop 6 streets further?

As far as i know the dealership rule is not one set in stone, but is followed by everyone. So can't shopowners just start using the same rule? This way it still keeps the freedom by the shopowners and it's not all pre-decided by the server rules.

😇

So can't shopowners just start using the same rule? This way it still keeps the freedom by the shopowners and it's not all pre-decided by the server rules.
half the shops you speak of are never manned and are merely used as a money source, most of those shop owners don't really hire anyone except a friend or 2 to help them out.

I think the main issue with that is there's not people queuing up who want to sit in a shop, restaurant or dealership for hours waiting for customers.
That’s part of the reason I don’t think it should be a hard coded limit. It really limits an owner who might have common sense, because of other owners who don’t.

That’s just a rule that Luxury and Mosleys use in their handbooks (I know this being the person that wrote them, if they still use the same one), not a rule all businesses follow. You’d need a lot of business owners to work together to enforce something like that city wide.

-1 for this one.

As owner of auto exotic the only rule we have for working other jobs is no other mechanic shops. Nearly all of our employees have other jobs in the city from dealerships to shops to bars. Auto Exotic has a "minimum work requirement" per month. If people don't reach this for whatever reason they will receive a warning if it continues they are removed from the shop and another person gets a shot. It should be down to the business to decide who is and isn't doing enough work. We do have Claire being one of our employees as well as maybe 4/5 other places she works at and personally I would NEVER tell her she has to decide. If they have enough time to work to a high standard at other shops and businesses I say go for it.

Back