What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Down's Syndrome Association (£60 Raised so far)

Wilco

The King
Legendary Donator
In the past so many mindless people have used the term "downy" or another term related to down's syndrome on our teamspeak or server. (bannable offensive)

Recently another Arma community's admin made sick references to down syndrome, and the worst thing about that is the other community's admins did not take action

So lets raise some awareness & raise some money for The Down's Syndrome Association and show our warm support.

Info: https://www.justgiving.com/dsa/

Two babies are born every day with Down's syndrome. Through information and support for people with Down's syndrome, their families and professionals, the Down's Syndrome Association helps these people live full and rewarding lives.

YuDyK3O.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Wilco! My brother is a 9 year old with down syndrome and I love him dearly but it can be hard physically and emotionally dealing with anyone with down syndrome. I had to come to terms with knowing I will most likely outlive my brother, I also have a sister with autism and that contributes to my frustration of society since few understand the difficulties faced by loved ones of people with these conditions. This server and video games in general provide me a outlet and once again thank you for this.

My respect for supporting this cause. It is amazing how we as a society have rightfully deemed acts of racism and sexism as cruel, yet many still mock others with terms that completely demoralise people with this tragic mental illness. It is something that people often do not think about, yet the true meaning of such a comment is disgusting.

Horrible that the Head Admin of that community actually made fun of such a serious condition. Shows the professionalism and maturity of that community as a whole.

My uncle has downs syndrome, me and my family donate to this charity monthly and unfortunately I can't really afford to spend more here after my last donation a few weeks ago, but every little helps! 

donate.png

I really think they should change the name of this syndrome, after all the abuse it has caused from sick people they should just re-name it to something more common, like uhm, the scientific name for it or latin version, but well.. good job on raising support, I'll donate soon :)  

I had a relative with down's syndrome, if you can remember, the original term was Mongoloide. This became offensive, so the syndrome name was changed.  I'd imagine any name change would simply be abbreviated into another form of insult.

I'm impressed this server gives to charity.

A really good charity. 

I had a relative with down's syndrome, if you can remember, the original term was Mongoloide. This became offensive, so the syndrome name was changed.  I'd imagine any name change would simply be abbreviated into another form of insult.

I'm impressed this server gives to charity.

A really good charity. 
Oh... I thought Mongoloide was related to some Chinese/Asian culture that people thought 'looked funny' and used it as an insult, well yeah, I guess every word will turn into some sort of abbreviation, but I still think it should be changed, 'downy' would be much more offensive I think to other terms, the latin terms for syndromes & diseases usually turn out to be much less able to be abbreviated due to its complex pronounciation of the words and being hard to memorise its self for people

EDIT: It actually is but came a word for down syndrome, well you learn something new every day

"The term "mongoloid" was introduced by early ethnology primarily to describe various central and East Asian populations, one of the proposed three major races (Caucasoid, Mongoloid, Negroid) of humanity. Although some forensic anthropologists and other scientists continue to use the term in some contexts (such as criminal justice), the term mongoloid is now considered derogatory by most anthropologists due to both its association with disputed typological models of racial classification and the connotations of its independent use in reference to Down Syndrome and associated intellectual disabilities."

8ebc08b50b348e43bd202fa9a547342e.png

Sorry it wasnt much, but im pretty low on money atm! But a good cause! And yes ive been mindless in the past, something which im not proud of at all. 

Hello Miles Hindley-Cooke,

Thank you for your donation. We're sending it straight to Down's Syndrome Association so you'll be making a difference very soon. A word from Down's Syndrome Association 
Thank you very much indeed for your generosity. Your donation will be put to immediate good use in helping to fund the Down's Syndrome Association's vital projects and services that support people with Down's syndrome, as well as those who have a personal or professional connection with the condition. The Association is entirely dependent on such voluntary gifts and without such generosity it would be unable to continue its much-needed services. Best Wishes The Fundraising Team 

Your donation receipt

Donation reference
D79845225Date
11/4/2015 8:49:47 PM (GMT)Charity name
Down's Syndrome AssociationCharity registration number
1061474Donation amount
£10.00Gift Aid ( What's this?
£2.50

Thank you for donating through JustGiving,

The JustGiving team

Back