What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

View Distance

What do you think we should do with view distance?

• Total voters

Neo

Banned
Unlinked
So, see the poll attached, its quite simple really.

Please bare in mind that the current serverside 1600 is fair and balanced.

If you want it increased by "xxxx" leave a comment or the vote will be removed.

I don't see what we achieve by setting it at a certain difference. I mean if you a have a expensive PC like me clearly you going to have your settings more than 1.6k or 2k. I can see people from a very far distance any way, same as in KOH, etc so i personannly would not like the restriction.

Last edited by a moderator:
ARMA being the CPU intensive game that it is, it could be argued that those with lower spec machines would be at a disadvantage if they are capable of the 1600 distance at the moment, but someone with a better spec machine can put it at 2000, that's 400m that someone can't see.

Again you could counter that with "Tough, Exile is all about getting an advantage on your opponents" but i feel that server-wise, the game should offer a balanced and level playing field on which to enjoy the game, and then let the who-is-better come down to skill, rather than being able to see further because you could spend more money on your CPU.

Have a fixed distance as well may help people with their FPS problem, rather than trying to draw an addition 400-1000m. I'm not sure how much impact it'd have server side.

Just my thought - I'm not particularly constrained by CPU power, but i feel for the other players who might be, especially considering a lot of our community are younger folk who might not necessarily be able to afford the latest and greatest hardware.

In my opinion - it should remain fixed at the current value.

As @Zeito said. People with potato PC's will get sniped 2km away and not know where from because they can't see. It pisses me off when it happens because it's not fair atall.

Buy a better PC then?
Your missing the point made in my post - not everyone has buckets of money to spend on a PC. The server should offer a fair and inclusive experience to everyone.

Your missing the point made in my post - not everyone has buckets of money to spend on a PC. The server should offer a fair and inclusive experience to everyone.
Why should others who have invested more money to get a better experience be limited to something because some dont want/cant invest more in? How is that fair for them?

Why should others who have invested more money to get a better experience be limited to something because some dont want/cant invest more in? How is that fair for them?
The key is 'better experience' not 'massive advantage over others'. Do you really have a better experience picking off people who defend themselves against you because they cannot draw the distance to you? That's bit of a shitty attitude in my opinion.

You're arguing that having more money in real life should give you an advantage in game. So if it hypothetically wasn't against the EULA, would you support people paying real money to get better items/vehicles etc in game, because they can afford to? I imagine not - and this is along the same lines. How is it fair you get an advantage in-game because you're better off in real life?

The ALUK community is about being inclusive and open to all, and it should present an equal experience to those who want to play. 

You're talking about fairness? and yet your argument is about creating an unfair advantage over other players.... interesting.
If you want fair, everyone should have equal capabilities regardless of what PC you play on.

ARMA being the CPU intensive game that it is, it could be argued that those with lower spec machines would be at a disadvantage if they are capable of the 1600 distance at the moment, but someone with a better spec machine can put it at 2000, that's 400m that someone can't see.

Again you could counter that with "Tough, Exile is all about getting an advantage on your opponents" but i feel that server-wise, the game should offer a balanced and level playing field on which to enjoy the game, and then let the who-is-better come down to skill, rather than being able to see further because you could spend more money on your CPU.

Have a fixed distance as well may help people with their FPS problem, rather than trying to draw an addition 400-1000m. I'm not sure how much impact it'd have server side.

Just my thought - I'm not particularly constrained by CPU power, but i feel for the other players who might be, especially considering a lot of our community are younger folk who might not necessarily be able to afford the latest and greatest hardware.

In my opinion - it should remain fixed at the current value.
I disagree, so you would rather make it the same for everyone?, I would prefer to see everything at its highest capability, lets restrict peoples screen resolution and stop people from having their settings on ultra, get everyone on the lowest spec as its unfair because their PC cant handle it?, you should be able to set it so you can have it however you want, we dont have those issues on Altis so why do we all of a sudden have those issues on exile?

The key is 'better experience' not 'massive advantage over others'. Do you really have a better experience picking off people who defend themselves against you because they cannot draw the distance to you? That's bit of a shitty attitude in my opinion.

You're arguing that having more money in real life should give you an advantage in game. So if it hypothetically wasn't against the EULA, would you support people paying real money to get better items/vehicles etc in game, because they can afford to? I imagine not - and this is along the same lines. How is it fair you get an advantage in-game because you're better off in real life?

The ALUK community is about being inclusive and open to all, and it should present an equal experience to those who want to play. 
No I would not because that would be Pay2Win, having a good computer while others have a shitty one is not pay2win. This attitude you have is the same as saying "Arma is pay2win because I dont have enough money to run it properly while others do". 

You get what you pay for.

You're talking about fairness? and yet your argument is about creating an unfair advantage over other players.... interesting.
If you want fair, everyone should have equal capabilities regardless of what PC you play on.
Yes its not fair that I can run the game better than other people. Is it my fault they cant run the game properly? If they cant run it properly why do they buy a game that requres a good PC and then expect equality?

"My friend has a FULL HD 3D TV and I only have a normal shitty one because I cant afford a better one. We get the same programs and everything, but he has a better picture. How unfair is that ha?"

I disagree, so you would rather make it the same for everyone?, I would prefer to see everything at its highest capability, lets restrict peoples screen resolution and stop people from having their settings on ultra, get everyone on the lowest spec as its unfair because their PC cant handle it?, you should be able to set it so you can have it however you want, we dont have those issues on Altis so why do we all of a sudden have those issues on exile?
That's a fair point Fuel, like I said it could be argued each way. I would be of the opinion of making it fairer view-distance wise for everyone by using the server default.

That's a fair point Fuel, like I said it could be argued each way. I would be of the opinion of making it fairer view-distance wise for everyone by using the server default.
To make it fair it should have the ability to go up to whatever you want, as it in all honesty no matter how good your computer is or is not if you are in a static location, ie set up as a sniper setting to say 2.4km will lag for a few seconds then it will be fine once loaded, its only if you move locations thats where the rendering will screw you over, so if you have a crappy PC, then set it lower if its good set it higher its only when sniping people will look that kind of distance and they wont be moving so you PC shouldnt make that much of a difference unless its that bad you should not even be playing arma. we want things to get better not worse otherwise lets all go play pong, im pretty sure all our PC's can handle it lul.

To make it fair it should have the ability to go up to whatever you want, as it in all honesty no matter how good your computer is or is not if you are in a static location, ie set up as a sniper setting to say 2.4km will lag for a few seconds then it will be fine once loaded, its only if you move locations thats where the rendering will screw you over, so if you have a crappy PC, then set it lower if its good set it higher its only when sniping people will look that kind of distance and they wont be moving so you PC shouldnt make that much of a difference unless its that bad you should not even be playing arma. we want things to get better not worse otherwise lets all go play pong, im pretty sure all our PC's can handle it lul.
This is a valid point, and there's nothing stopping you turning down your own visibility if (for example) 2k is too far.

This is a valid point, and there's nothing stopping you turning down your own visibility if (for example) 2k is too far.
Yeah that's true, I'll concede that point. Good debate though @Fuel!

honestly I feel it should stay as it is for the simple reason if it goes to over 2km then snipers will become massively op lol for instance I could just sit in my base 2.4km from pygros military compound and snipe people off the towers all day .Every mission the crate will be camped massively , I mean at the moment at least you can find the campers ,if view distance is endless it would take forever lol although I'm easy either way, a view distance increase makes my life a hell of alot easier even though I'm against it

honestly I feel it should stay as it is for the simple reason if it goes to over 2km then snipers will become massively op lol for instance I could just sit in my base 2.4km from pygros military compound and snipe people off the towers all day .Every mission the crate will be camped massively , I mean at the moment at least you can find the campers ,if view distance is endless it would take forever lol although I'm easy either way, a view distance increase makes my life a hell of alot easier even though I'm against it
This is what I was getting at - having a much higher view distance can give you an unfair advantage at long distance.

Back