What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

The Division - First Impressions

SGT Choco

So before the general population got a chance to try the closed/open beta there were a lot of valid concerns about the graphics and the new UI (and some even regrding the gameplay). I must admit I was a bit skeptical about the title when they revealed their new UI and updated engine -- so much so that I wasn't enticed as much to pre-order it. What sucked even more was that back in January if you wanted to play the closed beta to get a feel of the game you'd have to pre-order. And I wasn't ready for that commitment.

Thankfully I found and bought a beta key on G2A for about £1 and installed it straight away on my PS4 (my preferred gaming platform). And after grinding through the beta all the way up to the Caduceus and the Cassidy I must say I was pretty impressed with the game. I was indeed expecting less from the game, what with all the rumours and Ubi's reputation with downgrades and all that, but honestly speaking the graphic fidelity was almost as accurate when comparing it with the E3 demo. I enjoyed it on the PS4, and I was ready to buy it for my console if my friends were willing to buy the game as well (which they weren't, because according to them the game "didn't play the way I [they] expected it to [...] the beta was 'enough' ".... whatever that means).

So when the open beta was announced I turned to my beautiful friends here on Altis Life UK and preloaded immediately. At launch, once I fired up the game and spawned in I was a little bit taken aback by the controls unsurprisingly. The graphics were also set to auto-detect, which made the game look a bit worse than the PS4 version (be advised, I run all my PC games on a Lenovo Y70 Touch with an i7 4710HQ, 16GB RAM, GTX 860M and 256GB SSD so it wasn't gonna perform as well as, for example, a rig with a 750 Ti installed).

HOWEVER once I went ahead and made some custom tweaks in the graphics settings I was pleasantly surprised to find the graphics quality noticeably improved with a respectable average of 30FPS, with lows of ~25 and going as high as ~46 more or less. And with that I was excited about purchasing the game for the PC.

In my opinion I think that the game isn't really far off from the initial reveal back in E3, I think it all depends on individual perception, and I think there's a bit of psychology involved -- in the sense that if the word of mouth is that a game has inferior graphics than the E3 build then you'd look at the game from a critical perspective.

Anyway, I took some screenshots of the Division with my tweaked settings and I must say they look gorgeous, and pretty impressive, considering it's running on a laptop. Have a look and let me know what you guys think!

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate your opinion on this. Have played both the closed beta and open beta myself and am looking forward to it. It's been downgraded, but I feel Ubisoft acknowledged their mistake after both this and Watch Dogs saying how they reveal too early and it's all pre-rendered stuff, then they have to tone it down for the hardware. 

Will be great fun if you've got some mates to game with.

Future look:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Me and @Vladic Kabought it, so we will be roaming the streets of new york!

Back