What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Is the 3 minute rule real?

Tommy Vapour

Hi, I would like some help. I have found someone on the forums that has said this -

"There's a 3 minute rule. During the first 3 minutes of a chase a police officer cannot shoot at the person unless fired upon first. The same goes for rebels, you cannot just jump out of a car and start blowing holes into cops the moment they start turning their lights on. "

I would like someone to tell me the legitimacy of this comment - before you say I know you can't shoot at police the moment they turn their lights on. I just want to know if I can engage after the "3 minute rule" without verbally engaging in RP. I don't know if it is a real thing or not (The 3 Minute Rule) and I can't find anything in the rules to back it up. I would like to know is this "Three minute rule" is real and if it is does it mean that I can shoot an officer after a chase has been going on for more than 3 minutes.

The person who said this has actually been banned but I am just really interested in why he said it. Like its not like he would just openly make up a rule on the spot; he must be confused with another rule maybe or completely misguided. I am sceptic on the reliability of this rule and would just like to know more.

[SIZE=medium]3L) [/SIZE]Police Sirens

[SIZE=medium]When the Police put on their sirens lights to pull you over to attend to a scene this doesn't mean RP has initiated on their point, if you shoot without engaging in RP then this is classed as RDM[/SIZE]
The 3 minute is a Police Rule. If officers start a pursuit with a vehicle that has failed to stop. If 3 minutes has past and the police chase is still on Police can start to engage on your tires to halt your vehicle. If officers have no other way of pursuing you (eg. you stole their car stolen) then they can instantly try to stop by engaging on your tires. 

You will still both have to initiate once you get out the vehicle as no threat is made. Police could be pulling you over for speeding and next minute their under fire. Always make clear that you are a threat and initiate telling them to leave etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a another Police Rule that lets the police shoot directly at the Wheels when... 

* The Vehilce is a Ifrit or Armend offroad ( 50cal )

* A Police officer has seen the driver or passenger entering the vehicle with a illagal weapon. 

* The driver is a direct threat to him or his surrounding civs. ( VDM ) 

When the Wheels are out RP must still be initiate same as otherwise.

When the wheels are out the officers will tell you to get out the car and then initiate RP. 

The officer should only shoot/rubber the person when he is Outside the car and they are threatend or the person makes a run for it. Non the less RP should already be initiate at this point.

Pleas keep in mind that if the driver or one of the passenger turns towards them with a weapon that the officers might see that as a threat already and defend him self by shooting / rubbering the person.

Hope this helps :D

* To my fellow officers. If im rong in any of this please correct my :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a direct quote from the handbook

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]3 Minute Chase Rule[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]A civilians vehicle's tires may only be shot at after 3 minutes of time has passed while chasing the vehicle.   There are a few exceptions to this rule:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=14.666666666666666px]If your vehicle is stolen and their is no other way to pursue it.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14.666666666666666px]If it is a Hunter, Strider, Ifrit or .50 cal Offroad.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14.666666666666666px]If the vehicle poses an immediate threat to life (VDMer).[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14.666666666666666px]If you have witnessed the driver carrying an illegal weapon and is fleeing from a crime.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14.666666666666666px]If you truly believe pursuing them would further the risk life.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14.666666666666666px]When authorised by a SI or above.[/SIZE]

I have a follow up if possible.    

Then other day I was on the run from the Police for about 5 minuets in my truck - I'd like to add that I was already wanted. When I eventually pulled over, I got out and went to go behind my vehicle to be in cover and start a dialogue. Before that happend the officer started shooting at me straight away.      

Now if he killed me or knocked me unconscious would that be RDM or is it justified? 

I ask this as if I was to get out and shoot the officer, wouldn't I get done for RDM?

The 3 minute rule seems abit confusing as to when I , as the civilian, can start shooting. It comes across as one sided.

@Hayden Harrington if you had already initated etc with the officer then no it wouldn't be RDM. If you hadn't then it would be. Just because we have rubbers doesn't mean it don't count as RDM.

If he was shooting your tyres that's allowed because it was longer than 3 minuets.

Back